A day after Shashank Manohar, who played a key role in bringing Sahara in the IPL in 2010 was asked to mediate the BCCI-Sahara talks, a senior BCCI official has categorically stated that there will be no further discussions with Sahara, “What BCCI has to offer is already on the table. It is for Sahara to come forward and accept it."
The Board official confirmed what BCCI president N Srinivasan said in Chennai, after the Working Committee meeting on Monday, was final. "How can there be any further negotiation? The Board responded positively to Sahara's demands while also keeping the rules and regulations in place," says the official.
Manohar continues to one of the Board's top decision-maker and he has been playing an active role in the talks between BCCI and Sahara so far. "The BCCI is very clear about where it stands. Sahara have been extremely important partners, but we can't make an exception for them at the cost of others (franchises)," says the official, talking about BCCI showing Sahara the rulebook. Sahara's contention is the "rulebook is not a constitution of the government which cannot be changed."
The official however, claimed that Sahara has not yet made clear its intention, "As of now, it's a yes and no both," he said, when asked if a reconciliation is possible.
If Sahara walks out of the tournament, there will once again be a major reshuffle in the tournament format, the number of matches, and so on. Also, the Board's biggest headache will be to look for a new team sponsor. However, top BCCI officials are not losing sleep over Sahara's possible exit.
Although Sahara’s still on board, names like Reliance Industries Limited and Airtel are doing the rounds for taking over as Team India’s corporate sponsors.