16 May 2017 last updated at 12:27 GMT
 
Aus cricketers threaten strike, Ashes pullout
Sunday 14 May 2017

 

Australian cricketers, past and present, did not shy away from taking on the Australian cricket board as the negotiations with the Australian Cricketers’ Union (ACA) and Cricket Australia (CA) fell apart over the proposed remuneration.
Australia’s professional cricketers rejected a pay offer from the sport’s governing body last month, saying the proposal was “a win for cricket administrators but a loss for cricket”.
CA released their proposal in March, offering substantial salary increases, particularly for women, but breaking with the 20-year model of a fixed percentage of revenue from the game going to the cricketers.
CA chief executive James Sutherland told the ACA that they needed to meet terms with CA or players would go unpaid when the existing collective bargaining agreement expires on June 30.
Australian pace ace Mitchell Starc hinted the players might go on strike as The Ashes looms large. “Makes for an interesting men’s and women’s ashes...,” he tweeted.
Former Australian all-rounder Shane Watson seconded Starc’s view. “Well said @mstarc56. It will be an interesting game of cricket without any players,” he tweeted.
“Players are staying strong,” tweeted Australian pacer, Pat Cummins.
“Players past & present will stay strong,” tweeted fast bowler Mitchell Johnson. The ACA said in response that the “threats... were a window into the nature of CA’s behaviour in these negotiations so far.”
“There is incoherence and aggression in what we have experienced at the negotiating table from CA,” ACA chief executive Alistair Nicholson said in a statement on Sunday.
“This has further been demonstrated this week with some top players being offered multi-years deals one day only to now be threatened the next.”
The ACA has asked CA to go into mediation talks to try to end a dispute that has rumbled for over six monthAustralian cricketers, past and present, did not shy away from taking on the Australian cricket board as the negotiations with the Australian Cricketers’ Union (ACA) and Cricket Australia (CA) fell apart over the proposed remuneration.

Australia’s professional cricketers rejected a pay offer from the sport’s governing body last month, saying the proposal was “a win for cricket administrators but a loss for cricket”.

CA released their proposal in March, offering substantial salary increases, particularly for women, but breaking with the 20-year model of a fixed percentage of revenue from the game going to the cricketers.

CA chief executive James Sutherland told the ACA that they needed to meet terms with CA or players would go unpaid when the existing collective bargaining agreement expires on June 30.

Australian pace ace Mitchell Starc hinted the players might go on strike as The Ashes looms large. “Makes for an interesting men’s and women’s ashes...,” he tweeted.

Former Australian all-rounder Shane Watson seconded Starc’s view. “Well said @mstarc56. It will be an interesting game of cricket without any players,” he tweeted.

“Players are staying strong,” tweeted Australian pacer, Pat Cummins. “Players past & present will stay strong,” tweeted fast bowler Mitchell Johnson. The ACA said in response that the “threats... were a window into the nature of CA’s behaviour in these negotiations so far.”

“There is incoherence and aggression in what we have experienced at the negotiating table from CA,” ACA chief executive Alistair Nicholson said in a statement on Sunday.

“This has further been demonstrated this week with some top players being offered multi-years deals one day only to now be threatened the next.”

The ACA has asked CA to go into mediation talks to try to end a dispute that has rumbled for over six months.

Pietersen slams ECB over Stokes IPL exit
Pune and Mumbai will be without their England players for the IPL finals and KP isn't happy about it
Aus cricketers threaten strike, Ashes pullout
Players have hinted at a pullout from The Ashes as negotiations fell apart over the proposed remuneration.