The BCCI will announce the release of the Indian Premier League (IPL) media rights tender in New Delhi on September 18. The tender will be available for prospective buyers from September 19 for a month. On the eve of the big announcement, TOI got a peek into some exclusive details that are likely to be on offer.
While there's no official word yet on what the designated rights period is likely to be - it is expected to be officially announced by BCCI president Anurag Thakur on Sunday - those in the know of things say "it will most likely be for a period of five years."
The curtailing of rights period is based on the economic principles of looking at maximising revenues in short term, the same principles on which the English Premier League broadcast rights were picked up last year by Sky and BT Sports for three seasons at 5.136bn.
The BCCI hired the services of Boston Consultancy Group (BCG), also doing its math with other competent market analysts, to arrive at the valuation of media rights.
Sources in the know said bidders will be allowed to bid in three categories for the sub-continent. "It is likely that they may be allowed to either bid for the broadcast rights alone, or for the digital rights alone or bid for a combination of both," sources said.
This likely scenario has been agreed upon so that the best value proposition can be arrived at. It couldn't be confirmed if the IPL's overseas rights tender will also be brought out on the same lines or potential bidders will have to buy them clubbed.
TOI had reported last week that the BCCI may not allow agents to do the bidding for the sub-continent market but they will be allowed for the overseas markets. This decision has been arrived at keeping in mind the 2010 IPL rights controversy that triggered between current rights holder Sony Pictures and the World Sports Group.
Thakur, who took over as president of the board in May this year, has time and again pointed out that 'transparency' will remain at the core of all financial deals going forward, be it the IPL or anything else. Sources said the 41-year-old is seeking to bring about some refreshing changes in the way BCCI will look to work from now on.
The tender document is also likely to throw light on what the BCCI's plans are for the IPL in the near and distant future. If the league has to expand from eight franchises to 10, the potential bidder would want to know whether BCCI plans to have a bigger window for the league.
Meanwhile, Star India and Sony Pictures Network are looking forward to Sunday's announcement and warming up for a bout that is likely to be the icing on BCCI's tender rights spread. "Star has waited very patiently for this but that doesn't mean Sony Pictures can be underestimated here," an industry expert tracking developments said.
Courtesy: The Times of India