The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) accepted ‘defeat’ with regards to the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) election, conceding that Lalit Modi is the clear victor, even as the Supreme Court decided to postpone its verdict till March 4.
Modi contested RCA polls on December 19, causing former RCA chief Kishore Rungta and the BCCI to challenge his election via a Special Leave Petition in the apex court.
BCCI and Rungta are challenging the Rajasthan Sports Act 2005 that enabled Modi to contest the RCA elections. The Supreme Court has so far heard the case thrice, the first two instances being January 6 and 17. Thirty-two districts, affiliated to the RCA, voted on December 19 and the Modi faction has claimed absolute majority. The elections were held under supervision of two retired Supreme Court judges. The votes are in a sealed envelope which can only be open by the apex court.
The Board says Modi's return will tarnish the image of Indian cricket. BCCI lawyers told the Supreme Court judges that Modi was ineligible to contest since he was banned. Conceding the fact that the UK-based businessman is expected to win 26-6, BCCI's lawyers said RCA could face expulsion if Modi became its chief.